This is the first ‘Apple Dragon’ and the inspiration to make me want to continue with the rest. I found it on the orchard floor where it had been exposed to the elements for a year or so. The wood was more bleached and cracked than later finds.
I added a small fleck of red flint to help make the eye come to life.
See how the exposure to the elements has brought out different colours in the grain as the wood slowly succumbed to the weathering.
Here’s the reverse side; this what the other side would have looked like before I started working on it. Most of the bark had flaked off because it had been on the floor for so long.
Just before varnishing.
A couple of earlier stages of carving/whittling.